Take a walk through its rich history
St George was outside the city boundary until 1860 and it marked the end of the tram line from Bristol, the terminus being in Beaconsfield Road. Nowadays, the area is not so much out on a limb, but is still a community in its own right, with plenty of shops and pubs, while the abandoned chimney at Troopers Hill serves as a prominent landmark.
Its history is caught up in mining, which began in the early 19th century and ran until 1904, when the last fireclay mines were abandoned. Now only pit names remain as a reminder, such as Deep Pit Road.
Bridal hand tied bouquet (Roses)
2 Bridesmaids (Roses)
Groom & Best Man button holes (Roses)
Discounted rates apply to larger Bridal party requests.
Not to be used with any other offer.
Contact: 0117 2448228
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
John Armitstead, a colliery proprietor, had a pit between Church Road and Whitehall Road, where he installed a pumping engine for raising coal. Power was generated from water by means of a fire and the device was called a fire engine. It stood on land which came to be known as the Engine Ground and there is still a pub nearby called the Fire Engine.
Local tradition has it that the Parliamentary army, under the command of Sir Thomas Fairfax, camped on Troopers Hill prior to the siege of Bristol in 1645.
It has also been suggested that the ditch between the hill and the allotments was dug at this time as a defensive earthworks.
It is known that the army approached Bristol via Keynsham and Hanham and it is possible that Troopers Hill, with its amazing views of the city, was used while the army was headquartered at Hanham.
The hill was declared as a Local Nature Reserve in June 1995 and is clearly recognisable from the chimney marking the top of the hill.
The St George Fountain is a Victorian construction which divides the main Church Road which forks at this point to Kingswood and Hanham. The road was also once the boundary between Bristol and Gloucestershire.
Adjacent to this was the Parish church of St George, which has since been demolished and sheltered housing built on the site.
Not far from this spot is the former police station, that's been converted to flats.
Opposite is a grassed area marking the spot of Park Picture House.
Another local facility demolished and never replaced, this was a great favourite with children who used to attend the "9d rush" on a Saturday morning.
Recently, there has been much televised about the palace at Kew Gardens and it is interesting to note the similarities in design of this building and the old red brick St George Higher Grade School, later St George Grammar School and then St George Comprehensive School, but now a Sikh temple and a gym.
Friends of Troopers Hill (www. troopers-hill.org.uk) arranges working groups, talks and walks. It received funding last year to develop a new walking group for the area. The St George Strollers' next walk is on Friday, June 29, starting at the Chalks Road entrance to St George's Park at 10.30am, then passing through Barton Hill to the Walled Garden for lunch. For details, contact Clare Willott on 0117 941 4514. Tomorrow, the hill is host to a free music evening. Take a picnic and enjoy the wonderful view over the city while listening to South Gloucestershire Youth Jazz Orchestra.