Uncertainty over First Bus petition triggering council debate
A PETITION set up to reduce fares on First Bus services has reached its goal of 3,500.
But the campaign, set up by 33-year-old graphic designer Daniel Farr, has not triggered a council debate as it was lodged on the Number 10 website.
The Bristol City Council Petitions Scheme states that e-petitions need to be set up through their website.
However, the council has said a new petition will now be started on their website with all signatures from people who live or work in Bristol carried over eventually.
Replacement Combi Boiler from £1,850 with a 7 year warranty!!!View details
Thinking about upgrading your old boiler, why not take advantage of our fantastic offer High efficiency, condensing combination boilers, from the excellent Worcester Bosch range with a 7 year warrant
Contact: 0117 370 8042
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Mr Farr told The Post he was confident the petition would still be discussed at a full council meeting.
Mr Farr said: “I am working with Mark Bradshaw (Lab) to sort something out at the moment. I think it should be all right though the way it is going.”
He added: “I was very pleased to get to 3,500 but it was a lot of hard work. I’m not giving up though and I think it can reach 5,000 eventually.”
The council's petitions document reads: “If a petition contains more than 3,500 signatures from people who live, work or study in the city it will trigger the right to be debated by the full council. This means that the issue raised in the petition will be discussed at a meeting which all councillors can attend.”
Mr Farr’s achievement follows a meeting with mayor George Ferguson, who has signed the petition, last week.
First Bus have announced a review of their fares since the petition was started in December, 2012.
Spokeswoman for First Bus South West and Wales Karen Baxter said the company will be encouraging passengers to engage with the consultation. She added that the consultation is set to be launched soon.