Spate of chimney fires sees fire service offer advice
HOMEOWNERS have been urged to make sure their chimneys are swept regularly after firefighters faced a spate of recent incidents.
Since Friday, January 18 there have been 15 chimney fires with which Avon Fire and Rescue Service have been called with incidents reported in Olveston, Bishopston, Winscombe, Wick, Paulton, Hawkesbury Upton, Dundry, Batheaston, Chipping Sodbury, Saltford, Monkton Combe, South Stoke, Clapton in Somerset, Keynsham and Compton Martin.
Thankfully no one has been injured as a result of any of the incidents.
A spokesman for the fire service said: "One of the main reasons a chimney catches fire is because of a build up of debris inside. Chimneys where fires are burning smokeless fuels, bituminous coal, oil or gas should be swept at least once a year.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
"Those burning wood need to be swept every three months when in use."