Manor Primary School in Coalpit Heath evacuated in health scare
Children were evacuated from a primary school in Coalpit Heath this afternoon after pupils reported feeling unwell.
Anxious parents at The Manor School say they were told that fire crews were investigating the possibility of a carbon monoxide or gas leak.
Parents had a text message this afternoon from the school telling them not to go to the school but to go to the Miner’s Social Club down the road.
Shortly after 4.30pm parents were allowed into the school with their children to collect their belongings.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
The school is due to reopen as normal tomorrow (Tuesday).
Police cordoned off the road the school is on, and children could be seen in a field next to the school.
Fire crews, ambulances and police attended - including vehicles from the fire service's chemical response unit.
Paramedics say they saw up to 25 children who had reported feeling unwell.
Parents told ThisisBristol that earlier in the afternoon children were not being allowed to leave the school grounds, and worried parents were in tears but not being allowed in.
Children were being taken one by one to be assessed in a tent outside the school building.
Simon Thomas, 26, of Coalpit Heath, has a 10-year-old niece at the school who is believed to be unaffected by the mystery illness.
“Children started passing out earlier today,” he said. “They evacuated the school and now they are assessing the children but not letting any of them out.
“There are lots of panicking parents and nobody is really sure what is going on. We’ve been told it may be a carbon monoxide leak.”
Great Western Ambulance spokesman John Oliver said this afternoon: “We were called at about 1.15pm after reports that a pupil at the school is feeling unwell.
“A paramedic attended and reported back that there were six pupils all with similar symptoms – headaches and nausea. A further eight had been sent home.
“There are rather more at the scene reporting feeling unwell with up to 25 children reporting symptoms. None of them are thought to be seriously ill.
“The fire service is trying to identify the cause.”
A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue said: "Avon Fire and Rescue Service was called just after 1.30pm today after reports that several children had fallen ill during the course of the morning at Manor Church of England School in Coalpit Heath.
"The school was evacuated as a precaution while a multi-agency response was quickly put into operation.
Four fire appliances, two from Yate, one from Patchway and one from Brislington, plus two vehicles from the chemical response unit, have responded.
"The first vehicles were on scene by 1.45pm.
The fire service is working with the police, ambulance service, South Gloucestershire Council and other agencies in response to the incident."
A spokesman for South Gloucestershire Council said: “The Manor School in Coalpit Heath has been evacuated this afternoon after a number of children fell ill over the course of the morning. Emergency services are attending the school and parents have been notified. Further updates will be provided when available.”