Man found outside club is in coma
A MAN is in hospital with life threatening injuries after being ejected from a nightclub in Weston- super-Mare.
Police were called to Princess Square near the Seven Cafe Bar and Terrace at 2am on Sunday where a man in his 20s was found with serious head injuries.
It is understood that the man suffered a bleed on the brain and was taken to Frenchay Hospital where he remains in a serious condition.
A local man in his 30s – believed to be a doorman at the nightclub – has been arrested on suspicion of assault and has been bailed pending further inquiries. The area around Princess Square was cordoned off through the night while police carried out an investigation.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
The investigation into the incident is ongoing and the bar and club remains open as normal.
The victim is understood to be in a coma and still in intensive care.
A police spokesman said the police had been called to the scene at around 2am on Sunday. A crime scene had been established and a man in his 20s taken to Frenchay Hospital with a serious head injury. The spokesman said: "A local man in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of assault and has been bailed pending further enquires."
Bosses at Seven say that the club, which opened in 2003, has welcomed more than one million visitors since it opened and that this was the first incident of this kind.
The club regularly sees 1,000 people through its doors on a Saturday night.
Seven general manager Kevin Newman said the club had handed over CCTV footage taken during the evening.
Mr Newman said: "We are co-operating fully with police during their investigation.
"The club is running as normal.
"Seven has had more than one million visitors through its doors since it opened and this is the first incident of this type.
"We have a situation here where someone was evicted from the venue for various reasons. We are investigating those reasons."
"We had around 1,000 people through the club on Saturday night.
"It is a very unfortunate incident.
"I do not know the man involved but I feel sorry for him and his family and wish him a speedy recovery.
"The incident is now a matter for the police."
The club employs an outside security firm to provide its doormen. All hold the national SIA forms and are vetted by the police.
News of the incident has spread over social networking site Facebook.
One local man, who also works as a doorman, posted: "As doormen we have a duty of care to the people who visit our venues. I'm sure we all hope and pray that the young man makes a full recovery."
Councillor Tim Marter, who sits on North Somerset Council's licensing panel, said: "I am concerned about this incident and I will be awaiting the outcome of the police investigation with interest.
"It may be that a review of the premises's licence is necessary if irregularities are shown to have occurred."