Bristol man found dead the day before his 100th birthday after fall from ladder
A MAN died a day before his 100th birthday after apparently falling off a stepladder when trying to fix a light fitting.
Gwilym Bath, 99, of Bishopsworth Road, Bishopsworth, was found lying in the kitchen of his home on November 19.
A stepladder was found nearby along with a number of tools, including a screwdriver and pliers on the kitchen table.
A light fitting had been taken down.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Mr Bath's neighbour, policeman Benjamin Blackmore, was at home when a man from the Department of Work and Pensions knocked at his door and said despite knocking on Mr Bath's door he had been unable to get a reply.
When Mr Blackmore, who was off duty at the time, went to investigate he looked through the letter box and saw a build-up of post on the floor by the front door. Mr Blackmore said: "I used to speak to Mr Bath to pass the time of day but he generally kept himself to himself."
Mr Blackmore then went round the back of the property where he found the door unlocked.
He told the inquest at Flax Bourton Coroners Court: "He was on the floor and a set of small step ladders were under the light."
The hearing heard how Mr Bath, a retired technical consultant, had not seen his GP since January 2009 and was on no medication and was considered fit and well for his age.
A post-mortem examination revealed he had suffered a haemorrhage and minor trauma but no major injuries.
Avon assistant deputy coroner Dr Peter Harrowing said Mr Bath had no skull fractures but added that the haemorrhage which affects the brain can occur spontaneously and as a result of minor trauma in elderly persons.
Dr Harrowing recorded a verdict of accidental death.