Bristol Gulf War veteran Robert Scott died after choking on a meal at his home in Standfast Road, Henbury
A MAN who served in the Gulf War choked to death during a meal at his home in Henbury.
Robert Scott was having a meal with friends when he collapsed at his home in Standfast Road.
The 57-year-old father, who was married, was resuscitated by paramedics who attended the scene but died three days later at the BRI.
Mr Scott, who had suffered post -traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following the Gulf War, was born in Bristol in July 1954.
Bridal hand tied bouquet (Roses)
2 Bridesmaids (Roses)
Groom & Best Man button holes (Roses)
Discounted rates apply to larger Bridal party requests.
Not to be used with any other offer.
Contact: 0117 2448228
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
His death was declared an accident following an inquest hearing at Flax Bourton Coroner's Court yesterday.
In a report, Mr Scott's GP said he had been a regular at the clinic since 1988 and had several medical problems which prevented him from working including PTSD following the Gulf War and a spinal fracture.
The court heard that Mr Scott, an epileptic, had struggled with depression and on one occasion been sectioned after putting a knife to his throat and threatening to kill himself but that at the time of his death his mental health had been stable.
John Hadfield, a consultant anaesthetist at the BRI was responsible for Mr Scott following his admission to the hospital's intensive care ward on December 20, 2011. His report said witnesses were not sure whether Mr Scott had suffered an epileptic seizure or had choked on his food.
Mr Hadfield said tests suggested it was likely Mr Scott had suffered severe brain damage due to asphyxiation and that he was pronounced dead at 3.30am on December 23.
Pathologist Dr Karin Denton said food was found in Mr Scott's trachea and a toxicology report showed he had been drinking moderately.
She said the cause of death was brain damage caused by an obstruction to his airways caused by food or, possibly, an epileptic fit.
Assistant deputy coroner Terence Moore said he gave more weight to the blockage of Mr Scott's airway being caused by food. He said: "On the balance of probabilities this looks to me like an accidental death and I record that verdict."