Bookstore staff relive old stories
A REUNION was held for former staff members of Bristol's famous George's bookshop at its old Park Street premises.
Staff who worked at the shop during every decade since the 1940s attended the reunion held at Jamie's Italian, which now occupies the premises.
William George founded the bookshop at the age of 17 in 1847 at 16 Bath Street.
He moved the business to 26 Park Street in 1851 and then up to the top of the hill and into 89 Park Street in 1884.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
The George family sold the business to Blackwell's in 1929 but the shop kept the name George's.
By the late 1970s George's had six shops trading in Bristol and also one at UWE.
The shop in Park Street was eventually renamed Blackwell's in the late eighties.
Blackwell's left 89 Park Street in 2010 and moved next door into number 87, where it is still located today. Number 89 became the restaurant Jamie's Italian. Seventy-five people attended the reunion, including Nicola Perrett and Bob Guscott, who organised the event.