"12 months worth of disinfectant" used to clean health scare school
Pupils have returned to a primary school at the centre of a carbon monoxide scare after staff deep-cleaned it this morning.
Although some parents decided to keep their children at home, others have brought pupils in to The Manor School in Coalpit Heath, which is open as normal today.
The school was evacuated yesterday after a total of 34 pupils were taken ill, including feeling faint, nauseous or having headaches.
One child was sent home after fainting and when a second fainted an ambulance was called.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Eight pupils were sent home and a further 26 were looked over by paramedics at the school.
As the numbers taken ill rose, emergency services started to investigate the possibility of a chemical spill or carbon monoxide leak.
Head teacher Hilary Eade said today that they were now "100 per cent sure" it was not carbon monoxide poisoning, and the school's boilers had been given a "clean bill of health".
It now seems likely a virus could have caused the children to fall ill.
Ms Eade said: "This morning cleaning staff have been in since 5am doing a thorough deep-clean. We have used about a 12 month supply of disinfectant in three hours."
She said that although the school was open as normal, parents had been advised not to bring in their children if they were feeling unwell.