10 things to do this weekend – September 22-23
Make the most of your weekend with our guide to what’s on in Bristol and the surrounding area.
1. Music icons Dexys bring their show One Day I'm Going To Soar to Colston Hall on Saturday at 7pm. The band will give a live performance of the new album in its entirety, played in sequence, followed by a few Dexys favourites.
2. This weekend sees Brisfest return to Ashton Court. Grammy Award winning trio De La Soul are the headliners for this festival in the heart of Bristol’s biggest park. Set up in 2007, after the Ashton Court Festival was bankrupt, Brisfest has gone from strength to strength as a not-for-profit music festival.
The festivals have previously taken place on the harbourside but now it is moving back to its spiritual home, increasing the audience capacity to 20,000. There will be 11 stages to choose from at the festival, and music from bands such as Hawkwind, Beardyman and Roni Size.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
They top the bill on a line-up which features an eclectic mix of over 300 acts representing the best musical talent from all over the South West including Babyhead, Laid Blak and Dr Meaker. Tickets cost £31.
3. Bristol Rovers take on Fleetwood Town on Saturday at 3pm at the Memorial Stadium.
4. The Bristol Dragon Boat Festival takes place on Sunday in Baltic Wharf from 10am-4pm.
Watch as competitors test their endurance and join in a sprint in a Chinese Dragon Boat. The Dragon Boat Festival will see crews of 16 paddlers and a drummer competing against each other for charity.
5. Dinozoo has been extended at Bristol Zoo so there is still plenty of time to see the dinosaurs at the zoo – until November 4. 12 huge and life-like dinosaurs have been placed around the zoo in an amazing animatronic exhibition.
6. Join in with a free Wild Walk around Stoke Park on Saturday – from 10am-12.30pm. Discover the wildlife and plants that can be found in the ancient woodland.
7. On Saturday from 11am-12.30pm at the Royal West of England Academy artist and writer Iwan Bala will be talking about contemporary Welsh art. Tickets £10.
8. Pub of the week to try this weekend: The Knot Of Rope, Thornbury
9. Restaurant of the week to try this weekend: Sugo Mediterranean Restaurant, Kingswood
10. Recipe of the week to give a go if you decide to eat in: Roasted chump of lamb with rustic ratatouille
For some ideas of how to occupy your time next week check back at ThisisBristol on Monday.