10 things to do in Bristol this week – November 12-16
Make the most of the week ahead with our guide to what’s on in Bristol.
1. Take a walk through the German Christmas markets in Broadmead – it’s open until December 29. Once again visitors can enjoy traditional German market stalls offering authentic arts, crafts, gifts and mouth-watering German food and drink offers gift shopping, children’s carousel and an advent calendar with free gifts.
2. Get involved with the Front Room Art Trail across Totterdown from Friday until Sunday this week. Entry is free - visit www.frontroom.org.uk for more info. Bristol’s oldest art trail takes on a wild theme as creative residents open their doors and showcase their skills in their front rooms. Following the success of the first event held in 2001 the community has delivered a three-day extravaganza of art, theatre, poetry, film, crafts and music. Thousands of visitors are expected to visit the 180 artists registered at more than 60 different venues.
3. Catch singer-songwriter Joan Armatrading at Colston Hall on Tuesday at 7.30pm.
4. And on Wednesday night another acclaimed singer – albeit one who is much newer to the music scene – Jessie Ware, is playing at Thekla.
5. For your weekly dose of theatre, head to Brewery Theatre for Bunnies, a play concerning a farmer’s radical attempt to restore his land to its supposed former glory, and the differing reactions of his children. The play runs from November 13-24.
6. On Tuesday learn more about bats at a talk at Bristol Zoo. David Brown from the Avon Bat Group will give an illustrated introduction to these fascinating creatures. Find out what they look like, where they live, about their favourite foods and their interesting habits. 7pm - 8pm , costs £3. Book with the Avon Gorge & Downs Wildlife Project on 0117 9030609 or e-mail email@example.com.
7. At the The Watershed on Tuesday night it is their weekly Cinebites film and meal deal. For £15 you can get a cinema ticket for the Tuesday evening (after 5pm) film of your choice, plus a meal and a drink (a small glass of house wine, a bottle of Peroni or Corona, or a soft drink).
8. Bar of the week to try: The Thunderbolt
9. Restaurant of the week to try: The Muset by Ronnie
10. Recipe of the week to give a go if you decide to eat in: Nutty toffee apples
And if you need some ideas for the weekend, check back at ThisisBristol later in the week.