10 things to do in Bristol this week – February 11-15
Make the most of the week ahead with our guide to what’s on in Bristol.
1. Sit back and experience some movie magic with the BSO, who will be playing a selection of Hollywood blockbusters on Friday night at Colston Hall. Includes music from Lawrence of Arabia, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Trek: Nemesis, Troy, Armageddon, The Last Samurai, Schindler’s List, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Out of Africa, Star Trek and Avatar. Tickets £5-£25 – starts at 7.30pm.
2. To coincide with the new chocolate exhibition at M shed, go along on Valentine's Day and watch Chocolat , a film starring Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche. With champagne and truffles. Tickets £6/£5. Booking essential through M Shed Shop by calling 0117 352 6600.
3. Shakespeare’s Richard III opens at the Tobacco Factory Theatre on Thursday and runs until March 30. Watch the ruthless Duke of Gloucester charm, deceive and murder his way to power in this famously unhistorical history play. Tickets: £12 - £22. Box Office: 0117 902 0344.
Dyson DC50i - Bagless upright vacuum cleaner - BALL Technology -...View details
Thisi is Dyson's smallest upright vacuum cleaner with the performance of a full size upright machine. The DC50i has Dyson's most advanced cleaner head technology and 2 Tier RadialTM cyclones.
Terms: LIMITED STOCK OFFER. FREE delivery to most UK postcodes - Next working day dispatch.
Contact: 01664 491439
Valid until: Monday, May 27 2013
4. Enjoy some romantic piano with pianist Mikhail Kazakevich at St George's on Thursday night at 7.30pm. An inspired programme of favourites features Mozart and Chopin at their most ardent, plus a second half devoted to some of Liszt’s grandest arrangements of song and opera. Tickets £9-£23.
5. Embrace all that is romantic at Bristol Zoo this Valentine’s day without breaking the bank. Their ‘cheep’ romance offer gives lovers and couples the chance to enjoy a dreamy day out as well as visit our very own loved up couples including new lovers Mr and Mrs Grey (their gentle lemurs), and Jock and Romina their Western Lowland gorillas for just £20. Download a voucher from their website.
6. On Thursday spend a morning finding out about the birds that live on the Downs. Learn to identify them with the ‘Which bird am I?’ and ‘Bird bingo’ games and discover what different birds eat in the ‘Beaks and feeds’ activity. In the afternoon make a couple of birdfeeders to take home for your feathered friends. Brilliant birdfeeders (children’s holiday event for 8 – 12-year- olds), 10am – 3.30pm, £8.50 per child. Children will need to bring their own packed lunch. At Bristol Zoo and on the Downs. Book with the Avon Gorge & Downs Wildlife Project on 0117 9030609 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. At the Royal West of England Academy on Tuesday at 10.30am there will be a special children’s print workshop where your kids can learn to print an animal snow scene. Suitable for ages 7-11 yrs. £10.
8. Pub of the week to try: The Golden Lion
9. Restaurant of the week to try: Shadin
10. Recipe of the week to give a go if you decide to eat in: Prawns and purple sprouting broccoli with chilli and lemon
And if you need some ideas for the weekend, check back at ThisisBristol later in the week.