10 things to do in Bristol this week – December 17-21
Make the most of the week ahead with our guide to what’s on in Bristol.
1. Head to M shed and the Harbourside for Harbour Wonderland on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 5-7pm. Evening visitors to will be treated to a free sound and light spectacle. Harbour Wonderland will feature local choirs, illuminations, lighted braziers, themed light projections, seasonal films and work by local audio-visual artist Kathy Hinde - inviting you to explore the area around M Shed and historic cranes. There will also be tasty, festive treats on sale from M Shed's cafe, including mince pies and spiced hot drinks.
2. Catch The Charlatans’ frontman Tim Burgess performing at Thekla on Monday evening.
3. Head to Colston Hall for their family Christmas show. Children will be captivated by two timeless classics, ‘The Snowman’ and ‘Peter and The Wolf’ on Tuesday evening, narrated by award-winning comedian Tamsin Greig and accompanied by music from the Orchestra of Welsh National Opera. Book via Colston Hall’s Box Office on 0117 922 3686 or www.colstohall.org.
4. Visit Bristol Zoo on Thursday or Friday for Santa’s grotto, or to meet Santa’s favourite elves, greet the reindeers; Jingle and Bell, listen to Christmas carol performances, browse the Christmas market and enjoy a glass of warm mulled wine and mince pie by the bonfire. All animal houses will be open. Please purchase tickets online at www.bristolzoo.org.uk .
5. Bristol’s brilliant bamboozler is back at the Brewery Theatre this Christmas with a magical show to delight and amaze. This show – Magic Matters with Peter Clifford - is “best seen to be disbelieved with your own eyes.” It opens on Thursday and runs until January 12.
6. More than 50 independent shops are staying open till 8pm on Gloucester Road on Thursday – get some of your last minute Christmas presents.
7. Get your Christmas carol fix at Colston Hall on Thursday night with Raymond Gubbay’s Christmas Festival – Carols by Candlelight. Tickets £15-£32.50.
8. Pub of the week to try: Fox & Goose
9. Restaurant of the week to try: Yum Yum Thai Restaurant
10. Recipe of the week to give a go if you decide to eat in: Hangover beef salad
And if you need some ideas for the weekend, check back at ThisisBristol later in the week.